Thanks for Seeking God With Me.

If you need some Christian Nonfiction books to read, check out 5 Powerful Ways to Show Love and Heroine: Rising to the Challenge on Amazon

Hiding From Evil

Psalm 34:14
Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.

Have you ever been so afraid that you scooted down in your bed and pulled the covers over your head? I remember one time I was so afraid that I wanted to become invisible. Of course, I tried to act like I wasn’t afraid, but I felt like my heart was beating out of my chest. My hands were shaking. It was an awful feeling.

I would’ve appreciated someone reminding me of the prayer found in Psalm 140:1, “Rescue me, Lord, from evildoers; protect me from the violent.” In times like that when fear comes in like a tidal wave, God is the best shelter. We can run to him.

Matthew 6:13 is part of the prayer many believers pray together in church, “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.” In this prayer that Jesus taught his disciples, he emphasized that protective nature of God.  Also in John 17:15, he prayed in front of his disciples the same thing, “ My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.” God is able to gather us up in his protective arms and hold us while we’re afraid.

If you find yourself in a dangerous place, know that you have a job to do and God has a job to do. Your job, and mine, is to avoid evil. We are to speak to God about it and move forward, trusting him. Starting off Psalm 64, verse 2 is the request. “Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked, from the plots of evildoers.”

Verses 7 through 10 show the response from God.
“But God will shoot them with his arrows; they will suddenly be struck down. He will turn their own tongues against them and bring them to ruin; all who see them will shake their heads in scorn. All people will fear; they will proclaim the works of God and ponder what he has done. The righteous will rejoice in the Lord and take refuge in him; all the upright in heart will glory in him!”

There is evil on the Earth today. But we don’t have to be afraid of it. That’s why God gave us the words of Psalm 34:14 in both the Old Testament and the New Testament. Our job is to avoid evil. We can put our focus on the good things we’re supposed to be devoted to. In order for us to hide from evil, we should be keeping our eyes on God and going about the business of obeying him. If we are continually seeking God and his peace, if we are loving God and loving people, we will be in his protective and gentle arms.

Thank you for seeking God with me.

 

No comments: