Thanks for Seeking God With Me.

If you need some Christian Nonfiction books to read, check out 5 Powerful Ways to Show Love and Heroine: Rising to the Challenge on Amazon

Music is Communication

Ps 27:6
Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord.

When my husband sings me a love song, I don’t hear the song as much as I hear his message. It’s a sacrifice for him since he’s not really a singer. I understand and appreciate what he’s doing to get his message across. When we sing in church, I’m pretty sure God feels the same way about us. He isn’t interested in hearing “professional performance” voices, because he wants to hear our message.

I think the same thing applies with other kinds of songs and messages. The Happy Birthday Song is usually only sung at someone’s birthday, but it’s more than a birthday song. The message is more like “We love you.” You can change things about a song to change its message. For instance, “If You’re Happy And You Know It” sung in a minor key sounds sarcastic or sad, regardless of the words you’re singing.

Movies are good at making the most of the film’s emotional punch by using “mood music”. The scary music lets the audience know the villain is somewhere nearby. Scene changes involve music to let the audience know what to expect of the new scene.

When I read the verse from Psalms featured above, I picture someone feeling confident about God’s power, giving thanks, and singing about God to God. Our faith in God can become such a rich issue that we can’t help but burst forth in song. Such a powerful joy at the provision of God in difficult circumstances makes people so full of thanksgiving that they feel like dancing and singing.

What kind of music should be playing when you’re with God in prayer?

No comments: